Our Principal Investigators form the foundation of our research environment and educational programs. The Executive Board is responsible for the management of the school. The Scientific Director, Prof dr Thomas Unger, has full and integral responsibility and reports tot the Dean.
International Scientific Advisory Board
Our International Scientific Advisory Board (ISAB) meets biannually and advises the CARIM board on research and educational strategies.
- Professor Pim van Aken, chairman
- Professor Günther Breithardt, Universitätsklinikum Münster, Germany
- Professor David Lane, Imperial College London, UK
- Professor Alain Tedgui, INSERM Paris, France
- Professor Renu Virmani, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA
- Professor Anthony Ware, Lilly Corporate Center Indianapolis, USA
- Professor John Yudkin, University College London, UK
The Executive Board of the school consists of the Scientific Director (Prof.dr. Thomas Unger), the Managing Director (Rob van der Zander) and the Leaders of the Main Themes. The Executive Board is responsible for the management of the school and meets monthly to discuss and decide upon issues at strategic and tactic level. The Scientific Director has the full and integral responsibility for the school and reports to the Dean.
- Professor Thomas Unger, Scientific Director
- Professor Tilman Hackeng, Leader Main Theme I
- Professor Harry Crijns, Leader Main Theme II
- Professor Coen Stehouwer, Leader Main Theme III
- Professor Leon de Windt, representative Strategic Board
- Rob van der Zander, Managing Director
- Petra Uittenbogaard, advisor and project manager
The Strategic Board was formed at the end of 2012 to advise and support the CARIM scientific director in managing long term policy. The board is also meant to be a discussion forum and to generate written visions about the future of CARIM and its survival in an increasingly competitive European scientific environment. The Strategic Board meets regularly to discuss issues such as grant applications, national and international collaboration networks, interdisciplinary communication and CARIM’s visibility in the (inter-)national cardiovascular field.
The Principal Investigators, together with all the chairmen of the departments connected to CARIM, constitute the School Council. The School Council meets two times a year and is headed by the Scientific Director.
Education Program Committee
The Education Program Committee coordinates both the PhD and Master’s programs and advises the Executive Board on all issues regarding these educational programs.
Education Program Coordinator
The PhD coordinator advises the Executive Board on all issues regarding the PhD program. Within CARIM the PhD coordinator works closely with the CARIM Office, policy advisor and scientific director.
The Finance department of Maastricht University provides support on accounting the CARIM research projects on a part-time basis.
At this moment the Finance employees are Henny Kerckhoffs, Esther van Heel, Joost von Weersch and Jan Willem Janssen.
Patrick Janssen and Yves Engelen of the Human Resources Department of Maastricht University are related to CARIM.
Participating departments and disciplines
The research in the three main themes involves the research activities of people working in several departments/disciplines of Maastricht University Medical Center+