Vascular remodelling in cardiovascular disease
We aim at novel targets for the pharmacological prevention of microvascular diseases and their long term consequences. For this purpose we concentrate on rat and mouse experimental animal models.
Our working hypotheses include:
- tight relationship between arterial functional and structural changes;
- interplay between endothelial and neurogenic control mechanisms;
- pivotal pathogenic roles of chronic low grade inflammation and reactive oxygen species;
- modulation of the synthesis, (receptor) action and presence of parcrine mediators as exploitable pharmaco-therapeutic targets;
- besides chemical and functional assays, molecular imaging tools can be used to monitor the localization and activity of these targets.
Our program is co-funded by pharmaceutical and nutrition companies and by the Top Institute Pharma.