Gerhardus Johannes Albert Josef Maria (Geert-Jan) Kuiper completed his medical degree in 2010 at the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences of Maastricht University, the Netherlands. In his last year of Medicine he was already involved in thrombosis and haemostasis research under the supervision of Dr Marcus D. Lancé. After finishing his medical degree, he was appointed a research position at the Laboratory of Clinical Thrombosis and Haemostasis of Prof. Hugo ten Cate at CARIM. In December of 2012 he started his anaesthesiology residency at the Maastricht UMC+ ending in November of 2017. During his anaesthesiology training he continued to do research on thrombosis and haemostasis. On 31 May 2018 this resulted in a successful defence of his PhD thesis titled: Haemostasis monitoring: pinpointing using point-of-care. From July 2018 till June 2020 he followed two fellowships in advanced clinical practice and in cardiovascular anaesthesia at the Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada. As of August 2020 he is working again at Maastricht UMC+ as a consultant anaesthesiologist and researcher with focus on thrombosis and haemostasis research.
- Point-Of-Care monitoring with novel devices in acute hemostatic disbalance
- Multicenter studies on periprocedural DOAC reversal in clinical bleeding
- Monitoring and transfusion strategies in patient blood management
- Multicenter studies on perioperative ventilation practice
- Academic Editor at Medicine (Online ISSN: 1536-5964)